Thursday, October 14, 2010

Heated Debate

My blog this time around will actually be shorter then my previous ones not because I found the information less interesting but because it was very interesting to see the heated debate that ensued on ITFORUM about education and funding.  I found it refreshing to have so many points of view but however found it a little dishearting that so many wonderful minds had an opinion but yet no real world solution that could be set out and used today! 
My thoughts on my Educause readings:
  • More I hear about the conference I really want to sign up for it but I hate that all these conferences are so expensive.  I wonder who is actually able to go to them with the proration happening all over the US right now.
  • Love seeing the new members ask for help and all the great support that is given.  It helps me as I am still just brushing the surface of some of these resources and topics.  I also love how the responses even though many focused on technology most actually focused on teaching techniques and learning processes.  These topics I definitely can relate to.  Finding the connections makes it all the new technology hype out there just seem a little less overwhelming and out of my reach
  • Yeah I did another survey on “Seeking Evidence of Impact” my program is always trying to evaluate our distance learning format with the limited campus time and what we would do to be more effective.  Using this survey not only to start participating in the distance learning higher education administration community it helped me connect the dots with what I learn in class and what I do every day at work
My thoughts on ITFORUM readings:
  • Learned that there is a smart phone app that allows you to see where planes are going in the sky as part of an augmented reality discussion.  Is anyone else weirded out by this?
  • Dumpster Diving for school supplies- comment made about how teachers are using their own $ for supplies.  Our whole education system is a mess!  Personally I have 2 degrees and I make less at a 4 year institution then a science teacher with a bachelor’s degree at one of our area middle schools.  I tend to think we have priorities messed up here.  I furthermore was very inspired that many individuals are thinking along the same thought process as I am and that throwing money at a school is not going to fix the problem and not all the problems are solely the schools fault.
  • It was interesting to learn how America’s school system developed with 8 grades.  I never thought about how our education system began in the sense that someone just decided this is how it will be and it stuck

 Question for the day:  Are we just throwing money at schools?  Is that America's solution to every problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment